Gulf South for a Green New Deal
GCCLP is anchoring Gulf South for a Green New Deal: a formation of both policy development and organizing towards creating a Green New Deal that is inclusive of the Gulf South (TX, LA, MS, AL, FL) and advances long-existing work in our region towards climate, racial, and economic justice. Gulf South for a Green New Deal aims to:
1. Connect the Dots between the climate crisis, the coastal crisis, the economic crisis,
and the political crisis in the region.
2. RE-Imagine Our Collective Future for the Gulf South region through tailored policy and action platforms.
3. Build Power from the ground up across the lines of race, class, gender and
1. Connect the Dots: Road to a Green New Deal Tour. In 2019, next generation leaders with the Sunrise Movement launched the Road to a Green New Deal tour to catalyze a national conversation about the Green New Deal (Learn more about Sunrise Movement at: www.sunrisemovement.org). GCCLP anchored the New Orleans stop of the national Sunrise tour and launched Gulf South for a Green New Deal. Continued gratitude for the 45+ organizations who co-sponsored the event and the 800+ people who attended to advance our shared goals: 1) Honor local Indigenous and Black leadership around caring for each other and the earth; 2) Create a safe, inclusive space to connect the dots around climate, climate disaster, jobs, and next generation leadership; 3) Launch Gulf South for a Green New Deal as a multi-state effort to implement the vision of the Green New Deal rooted in the unique reality of the Gulf South. We received great local coverage from the Louisiana Weekly, WWNO, and more.
2. RE-imagine Our Collective Future: Gulf South Policy Platform. GCCLP is anchoring a monthly call for leaders across the Gulf South (TX, LA, MS, AL, FL) to cultivate legislative priorities unique to the Gulf South as they relate to the Green New Deal. This Regional Policy Advisory Committee will center and uplift existing leadership from across our region to identify points of alignment on policy. CLICK HERE to join the Regional Policy Advisory Committee for our next call every 1st Wednesday of the month 11am CDT. We invite participants to please read the joint House of Representatives and Senate Green New Deal Resolution.
3. Build Power from the Ground Up: Organizing is still taking shape. If you're organizing towards a Green New Deal, CLICK HERE complete this Partnership Form to connect to Gulf South for a Green New Deal. We'd love to join forces. You can also connect to or start your own Sunrise Hub by going to www.sunrisemovement.org.
GULF SOUTH FOR GREEN NEW DEAL PARTNERS INCLUDE:
Climate Reality Project NOLA
Tuscaloosa Sunrise Hub
350 New Orleans
771 Alliance of Southern University / SU Sierra Student Coalition
Questions about getting involved with GS4GND? Contact